Tuesday, March 12, 2013

The Break Up

Dear stuff,

This has been a long time coming. Don't pretend you haven't known. I just can't hold back any longer. Your suffocating me.  I need space. It's over.

You know, I should have realized long ago how you isolated me. Your presence in my home keeps me from opening my door freely to people. It is so embarrassing how you lurk in the corner trying to look inconspicuous even though you don't belong there. You know if you could have kept yourself up I wouldn't feel so bad about having you stay but your nothing but a freeloader who expects me to clean, maintain, and fix all your wrongs.  You do not bring the joy to my life you promised you would when we first met and I agreed to bring you home.  It has become all about you and your needs.

I really believed that I did not have the time I needed to do the things I wanted. Turns out that it was you all along convincing me that you needed me more then I needed the experiences I crave. How many times there were that I just wanted to go to the park with the kids but instead I had to stay home to clean up because of you. I keep thinking of all those classes I never took, or all those places I wanted to visit but felt I couldn't because I was so overwhelmed with responsibilities, I can't get back that lost time. 

And don't ever say I never loved you, for you know I did. I protected you for so long thinking you would learn to hold your own in this crazy world but instead you sat back and did nothing. I will no longer be an enabler for you. Its a hard knock life stuff. You are going to have to make it on your own. Don't try to say I didn't try to make it work. I put you on a pedestal, and treated you with care. I spent countless dollars trying to make life better for you to make you safe or comfortable. I brought in more stuff like you thinking we would be happy if you fit in better. Oh just think of all the money I spent to renovate my new home to accommodate you and your need for space. Still you wanted more. I have nothing more to give!

I know of an organization that may be able to help you relocate. I will drop you off there.  I truly hope you'll be appreciated wherever it is you go. I loved you once. Now I love me more.

Goodbye stuff. I never want to see you here again!

Love, D

1 comment: