Friday, March 1, 2013

Book Ledges

I'm totally digging the new photo ledges I installed in Logan's room. From the Ikea Ribba line they work perfectly for books. Safe, accessible and they look great too. I converted myself to a hardcore kindle owner a few years ago and I have not purchased myself a physical book since. Honestly I read more than ever because I can now do it with one hand and mother with the other. While I am a huge proponent of digital media for my own consumption I find that I can't bring myself to force my children into this life choice. They are no strangers to books and media served up by digital device and I fully support allowing them to explore that option. However, there is something so wholesome about childrens books in traditional form that makes sharing a physical book with them is still pure joy. Furthermore, the availability of good quality children's literature in digital format is just not where it needs to be to encourage me to change over. For now the best I can do in continuing my quest to own less stuff while still developing a literary appreciation in my childrens hearts is to give them high quality books and to display them artfully.

No comments:

Post a Comment