Friday, March 15, 2013

Let Me Tell You a Story About a Girl and Her Garden

Once upon a time I built a garden. It was perfect for me. Six nine square foot raised beds, organic soil and compost, a simple gated fence, one long row for asparagus, stone pads for potted plants and a lush layer of mulch to keep weeds from growing between the beds. I produced three good years worth of veg before the great decline.

The forth year was the coming of the child, and in his infancy I did not make arrangements to care for my garden as I should have. Some veg suffered from neglect some from blight. There was a decline in production from the northern sector which I attributed to a lack of sunlight from the encroaching trees.

The following year I took proper care of the garden but the issue in the northern most sector had now spread across the entire back row of the garden. Low and behold it was maple tree roots. I threw my fists in the air, used a spade to cut out all the roots at years end and cursed that Acer saccarum to to the fires of Hades.

Last year the roots resurrected themselves and I left the garden fallow knowing I would likely be neglectful of it anyway due to the birth of the second son.

And that brings us the present and my newest problem. I NEED to garden so I must relocate and rebuild. Now I need some inspiration to draw on. That's where you come in. Link me into some dream garden photos from the web. Once I see something that inspires me I am sure this huge job will become a huge joy. For now it is just disheartening to have to start over.





2 comments:

  1. The Garden: 3-14-13
    Finding time for the care and feeding of a garden is much like caring for your babies…It cries for attention….It wants its pants clean and to be fed yummy food daily…It’s a lot of work…but the rewards are well worth the effort…Love and Prayers from Grandma…

    ReplyDelete
  2. How does your garden grow except you provide it with love and attention. Like your babies, it give back far more than you give. Enjoy

    ReplyDelete